Global Village Program
Make a difference locally and globally!
Habitat for Humanity’s has a vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live. You can help Habitat realize that vision on a Global Village trip. Global Village provides a platform for volunteers to travel across international borders and work in communities outside their homelands. Global Village offers volunteers the chance to experience a unique camaraderie and build lasting friendships with fellow team members, and with Habitat home partner families. Global Village is a journey that will transform your life.
What to Expect
While every Global Village trip is different, you can expect to gain a once-in-a-lifetime set of experiences and memories. Itineraries are balanced with plenty of work, rest and free time. During your trip, you will do more than help build houses―you will become part of the local community and participate in cultural activities.
More information on Habitat for Humanity's Global Village volunteer program is available from the InternationalGlobal Village website.
To find out more about the experience of volunteering in Kuching, please follow the link here.
Where you can go
Please visit the scheduling website to find an available Global Village work trip in Malaysia. Currently there are openings in Kuching, Kota Kinabalu and Peninsular Malaysia.
Global Village trip costs vary, but all payments include a donation to the host community’s Habitat program, in-country transportation, food, accommodation and mandatory travel medical insurance.
- Cost estimates
Estimates for a 9- to 14-day trip, excluding air fare (All amounts are in U.S. dollars.):
Asia and South America: $1,650–$2,350
Central America/Caribbean: $1,275–$1,550
Europe and Central Asia: $1,825–$2,500
Many participants who feel this amount is simply too costly fundraise for their trips in many very creative ways. Your local Habitat office can give you tons of ideas on how to do this!
1. Age: Any person 14 years of age(*) or older with good health is eligible to participate, and there is no maximum age limit. Those under 18 years of age must either be chaperoned by a guardian (or leader assigned responsibility by child's guardian in writing) or participate as a member of a team from a school or other club. In the latter case there must be at least 1 adult to every 10 participants under 20 years of age(*). Each hosting country may have own different minor policy and child labor policy so please check here and also ask us when you apply.
2. Language skills: As a team leader, fluency in English (speaking & writing) is required.
3. All participants must agree with the following :
- Habitat for Humanity is not a travel agency. Volunteers and Habitat cooperate together to create the Global Village as partners by fulfilling the roles and responsibilities of each other.
- The Global Village program has been developed based on the Habitat's vision "A world where everybody has a decent place to live", and is operated according to the principle of Habitat. Participation in the program means that you respect and accept the vision and policy of Habitat.
- The team's request may not be always fulfilled because it is necessary to keep a balance of a team's demand with the needs and the situation of the hosting country.
- All participants must agree and sign the 'Release and Waiver of Liability Form' to participate.
1. If you cancel more than 60 days prior to departure, we will transfer all of your payments and donations to another trip of your choice, minus a USD$50.00 cancellation fee.
Cancellation within 60 days of departure will result in ½ of your payments and donations being retained by HFH to meet current obligations, with the remainder being transferred to another team of your choice.
Cancellation within 45 days of departure, we will transfer all of your payments and donations minus a USD$1000.00 cancellation fee. This fee is to cover all incidental expenses in the preparation for your team and the loss of that building slot for other potential teams.
2. If HABITAT FOR HUMANITY must cancel we will make every attempt to conduct the trip as scheduled. However, if Habitat cancels, we will ask the team to choose one of the following: 1) change the destination; 2) change the trip date; or 3) cancel the trip and receive a refund. We cannot compensate you for any other expenses.
Neither Global Village nor Habitat for Humanity can be responsible for accidents, missed or rescheduled airlines missed or rescheduled ground transportation, or any situations that prevent a participant from joining the team. Each participant is responsible for additional expenses incurred.
You can visit Habitat for Humanity International website for more information about Global Village opportunities!